There are three categories of cars that could be called smart cars. One smart car is a brand the German-based Smart Car, although its primary assembly plants are in France and Slovenia.
|1 of 2|
|The second type of smart car embeds modern technology into the car design allowing for many new innovative features. Finally, there is the robotic, self-driving, or autonomous car that can function without a driver.|
A deal was announced on March 4, 1994, at a press conference at Mercedes-Benz headquarters in Stuttgart that the companies would join forces in founding Micro Compact Car AG (MCC). 49% of the initial capital of 50 million Swiss francs were provided by SMH and the remaining 51% by Daimler-Ben
Of the 2,849 miles between Pittsburgh, PA and San Diego, CA, 2,797 miles were autonomous (98.2%), completed with an average speed of 63.8 miles per hour (102.3 km/h). Since then, numerous major companies and research organizations have developed working prototype autonomous vehicles.